Required attendance for the Open Learning mode of studies is two afternoons per week (Mondays and Wednesdays), can be adjusted to the personal time limitations of students, and is ideal for those who cannot attend the full time mode.
The duration of studies is two years (four semesters).
Graduates of the programme receive the AKTO Certificate, certified by the Greek Department of Education (AKTO Life Long Learning Centre, Level 2, Certified by the National Organisation for the Certification of Qualifications & Vocational Guidance E.O.P.P.E.P) and at a later stage, once they complete certain additional modules during the summer semester, they can apply to register in the final year of the Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Degree, validated by Middlesex University.
The Open Learning option is offered for the following programmes:
Learning is based on a well organized educational procedure, from the the premises of the College as well as the place of residence of the student.
The syllabus is developed in a structured procedure and the methods used are the following:
- Lectures: One hour lectures with the use of slide projections and other visual media, through which teaching is supported. Theoretical knowledge is absorbed with the use of examples.
- Projects: Projects are assigned through project briefs, where all required information for their materialization is found, including the assessment criteria, duration, communication schedule with tutor and relative bibliography.
- Seminars: Discussions with student groups on a specific topic or presentations by other tutors or visiting tutors.
- Critique: Necessary in achieving quality results for a project and constructive for the development of any student. At the end of each project critique takes place through the presentation of works in the presence of all students.
- Workshops: Specialised workshops at specified times, in order to practice, under the supervision of a tutor, on topics requiring certain skills.
- Computer studios: Computer classes, taking place at the computer studios of AKTO are included in the weekly schedule. Students who do not have a personal computer can complete their work at the computer studios of the College, under the supervision of a tutor.
The advantages of the Open Learning mode
- Students are not obliged to leave their professional or family responsibilities so as to complete their.
- The dedicate less time in attending the programme, which is identical to that of the full time mode, allowing them to manage their time according to their needs.
- They are not obliged to travel daily, limiting their costs and time.
- May latter acquire a university level qualification, Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts, validated by Middlesex University, in the field of their choice.